The following is a quick look at the basic steps involved in buying a home:
1. Decide what you need in your new home & when you need to move
2. Find out what you can afford to spend
3. Together with your Realtor, search for homes that matches your criteria
4. Make an Offer to Purchase
5. Negotiate Terms and Conditions of you offer (ie. Price, dates, items to be included, amount of deposit, etc.), possible counter-offers or perhaps multiple offers
6. Pay agreed upon deposit
7. Arrange house inspection, get copies of all necessary documentation (ie. Title Search, Property Disclosure Statement, Site Survey, Strata Documentation and Meeting Minutes for the past 2 years, etc.), solidify financing and insurance, etc.
8. Remove subjects/conditions on Offer to Purchase
9. Meet with legal representative to transfer title and release funds needed to purchase property & pay legal fees associated with your real estate transaction
10. Pack your belongings and move into your new home.
As you move through the above steps, your agent will explain all options available to you and give you their professional advice on how to best proceed so that you may take possession of your new home.
For more information on buying a home, please contact us and we will be happy to send you a free copy of “Buying a Home in British Columbia”, an extremely useful booklet published by the Real Estate Council of British Columbia.